Information Technology Tools and Network Basis
Introduction to Internet and WWW Question & Answer
What is private browsing? Why is it considered a better way of browsing the Internet?
- Anonymous browsers allow users to view websites without revealing personal information of user.
- It can be sued as a tool for governments, journalists and every security conscious surfers.
- A popular solution to this is- Private Browsing.
- Incognito browsing open up a version of the browser that will not track your activity.it is particularly useful if you are entering sensitive data like bank details into your browser.
- Proxy works as a middleman between your computer and the website you want to access. Now the tracking website will get the IP address of proxy site.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) this is a method to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi hotspots and Internet. It is originally meant for business employees working offsite to gain access to shared drives or networks.
What are cookies? How are they used by websites to track you?
cookies are small pieces of information websites can store in your browser. Cookies can be –
1. First Party Cookies- These are the cookies that store your own log in id, password, and auto fill information etc.
2. Third Party Cookies: These are the cookies that websites store to know about your search history and web browsing history so as to place advertisements as per your interests.
How do websites track you online?
Whenever you visit a website, your web browser may reveal your location via your device‘s IP address.
- It can also provide your search and browsing history etc. which may be used by third parties, like advertisers or criminals.
- This way website track you. Tracking is generally used by advertising networks to build up details profiles for pinpoint adtargeting.
- This information is compiled through your web usage patterns, and which websites generally use for tracking you. This generally includes-
- IP Address
- Cookies and tracking scripts etc.
- HTTP Referrer
- Super Cookies
- User Agent
What should you do to protect your identity on Internet?
The things we can do to protect our identity on Internet.
- Most common solution to this is Private browsing or Anonymous browsing.
- Confidentiality of information.
- Appropriate usage of social networking sites.